Have you ever considered taking a break from alcohol?
Maybe you’ve tried and failed. Or maybe you’ve done a ‘Dry July or ‘Feb Fast’, only to immediately slip back into old habits.
If so, you are not alone.
For many of us, myself included, our relationship with alcohol is on auto-pilot. We often drink out of habit, without stopping to think why. And sometimes we end up regretting it later.
Ruari Fairbairns is the Co-Founder and CEO of ‘One Year No Beer’, an organisation that has helped over 100,000 members change their relationship with alcohol.
In this interview, Ruari shares the story and inspiration behind OYNB and explains some of the hidden benefits of taking a tactical break from alcohol.
What You’ll Learn
- The story behind One Year No Beer
- Why Ruari decided to take a break from alcohol and what he discovered about himself
- How he inspired his wife to follow his lead
- How different countries have different cultural attitudes towards alcohol
- How taking a break from alcohol can help make you a better dad
- Some of the other hidden benefits of taking a break, such as sleep, anxiety, weight loss, mental health and happiness.
- Behaviour change tips to help you succeed
- And… Listen to Ruari convince Scott to take the 90-day challenge (he’s a hard man to resist)
About Ruari Fairbairns
Ruari Fairbairns is Co-founder and CEO of One Year No Beer which is a behavioural change platform to transform the world’s relationship with alcohol. With over 100k members in 90 countries, Ruari speaks with passion about all the advantages and benefits of taking a break from booze for everyday social drinkers.
Building a business from bootstrapped to Scaling, bootstrapping, fundraising, scaling, marketing, building a community, crowdfunding, hiring a team, making yourself redundant, podcasting, speaking.
All the hidden benefits of a tactical break from alcohol – sleep, anxiety, weight loss, depression, mental health, physical health, productivity, happiness, general wellbeing, changing behaviour.
Ruari is a father of two, who lives with his wife and kids in East Lothian, Scotland.
Quotes by Ruari Fairbairns
“Not drinking is not the miracle cure, but it is the keystone habit. It’s the one thing that unlocks everything else.”
“When you are standing opposite somebody expecting them to change, it will never happen. You must lead by example”
“Never expect somebody to do something you haven’t already done yourself.”
“In the society we live in, not drinking appears to lower your status, so why would we ever do that?”
“We go through life on absolute auto-pilot with our relationship with alcohol”
“Not drinking, made me a considerably better dad in every aspect.”
“Kids and hangovers do not mix, period!”